Thursday, June 19, 2014

Games: Snatch It

I do not have a catchy name for this. If you have one, tell me.

You can really use this for whatever you want, but I like to use it for comprehension - true/false, questioning about stories, etc.

Sit students in pairs across from one another. Give each student a whiteboard and a dry-erase marker (this isn't strictly necessary if you don't have them, but I find it keeps them honest). Between them, have them put an object that's easy to grab and won't hurt them if they grab it quickly. I, for example, have eleven thousand stuffed animals in my classroom, so these work nicely. I do not recommend things like paper.



You as the teacher should prepare questions (or work on the fly if you're that kind of guy/gal - more power to you!) on the topic of your choice. Read the statement or question to your students. When they know the answer, they should write it on their board and grab the object. After (predetermined amount of time - 10 seconds?) have the people with the object hold up their boards. Acknowledge correct answers, have the kids with incorrect answers ask questions if they need to, give effusive praise, etc.

The kids get ridiculously competitive about grabbing the thing.

Alternatively, don't have them write down the answer, but just ask a kid for their answer. Then accept questions after that as needed. Rinse and repeat.

I like to give my kids a copy of a story they know VERY well and ask them comprehension questions about it - both of the true/false and the open-ended nature - but I suspect you could apply just about anything you wanted. I happen to like that because I find that it's more CI friendly than asking them to simply spit out facts about culture or grammar or vocab without context.

Update:

So many ways to do this:
a. Set up several white boards with category ideas on them. That could be:
animalia                     colores                  villa                numeri

was doing                  did and done               is doing                 will do

homo                       animal                    res

Kids get into groups, and you say a word. The group's job is to discuss it (I give them fifteen seconds), and when I hit the bell, one designated human runs to grab the appropriate board. Then circling questions can be asked to ensure that everybody understands.

b. Line up white boards around your room or outside, wherever you choose to do this. Choose a few volunteers. (this is a hybrid version of flyswatter and Jason Fritze's angels and demons, and I like to do it week one.)

Write a word on each board, and give them the English, show a picture, or do a hand sign. The volunteers must run for their group and get to the board in question before anyone else. Then the group must choose new people to run for them. Questions are always asked after each one.

No comments:

Post a Comment